Wednesday, June 18, 2008

METHI PAGE (METHI KHEER)

Whenever I think of methi leaves, I always end up making methi dosa or alu methi. One recipe out of methi seeds are 'Methi Page'. It is nearly similar to rice payasam. Normally methi seeds are used for seasoning. We konkanies usually make this recipe during the month of Karkedakam which is the last month of the malayalam calender. It is celebrated as Ramayanamasam. It falls during july or august month of the Gregorian calender. During these days one will read ramayana and other members will listen. The climate during the period is rainy and also it is considered as a month of preventive treatment. Methi seeds helps to maintain sugar level , control choresterol , curing asthama , good for indigestion and also very important for the feeding mothers.



INGREDIENTS.

1 cup Rice.

1/2 cup Methi seeds.

6 - 8 blocks Jaggery.(vellam)

1 1/2 cup Coconut Milk.

4 cups water or as per required.

1/4 cup of Moong dal can be added to make the recipe bit more healthier. But here in my recipe I have not added.

METHOD.

Wash the rice and methi seeds well and soak around 15 min.
Place kadai and add rice , methi seeds and water, and bring to boil.

Reduce flame to low and allow them to cook nearly for 40 min. Make sure keep on stirring every 5 min.

After the rice and methi are cooked , add jaggery and keep on stirring till it dissolves. Then add coconut milk and simmer for few min.

Remove kadai from flame and set aside.
Serve hot along with a spoon of ghee.




Also as the recipe contains coconut milk , I contribute this also to AFAM - COCONUT BEING HOSTED BY SUGANYA.

28 comments:

Devi Priya said...

Very well described and good recipe. I have never made with methi seeds. Should try. I have a surprise for you in my blog.

EC said...

Yummy sweet dish...thanks for participating

Deepthi Shankar said...

Hey Nice Dish. Have never tasted this before. Will give it a try :)

Unknown said...

wow suma nice dish this will be a very help ful meal for my dad because he is a sugar pationt

Andhra Flavors said...

nice healthy recipe suma.

Nandita Shenoy said...

I didnt know we could prepare payasam with methi. Something different..Combination of health & taste sounds good..So many things to try out from your blog.. gr8 going..

Jaishree Iyer said...

Hi suma,
Thanks for visiting my blog &for lovely comments. I have never made payasam with methi seeds.I prepared payasam with moong, channa dalwith rice or sago..I will try.. yr jamoons and methi payasam..Nice recepie...

Swati said...

A new sweet dish for me..I like your bowl and saucer set...very pretty!!

Finla said...

Well a very healthy sweet dish

Laavanya said...

This is very new to me but it sounds very good! Nutritious too with the methi & mung.

ranji said...

An excellent post suma....i had totally forgotten about this payasu..amma used to make this with moong dal....BOOKMARKED :)..iw ill get methi seeds soon and make this...thank u for posting this:)

Cham said...

Sounds healthy dish served as payasam , excellent dish love the color too :)

Kalva said...

Nice blog you have here. loved the kheer...

Ramya Bala said...

Suma,
Thanks for dropping by..
Payasam with methi seeds???New to me..Tempting me to try...

Madhavi said...

Hummm very nice recipe and new for me. looks great!!!

@the_whisk_affair said...

oh wow, suma!! methi kheer...completely new to me, thanks for sharing..great entry BTW!!

Uma said...

Delicious payasam Suma! love the second picture. Oh that spoon of payasam is for me? So nice of you Suma! Slurp, yummy!

FH said...

Very traditional, never tasted this before. Good one Suma!:)

ST said...

WoW suma,Yummy and Healthy payasam.I didnt know we could prepare payasam with methi seeds. Something Unique.Will try soon...

ranji said...

an award waiting for u suma..come and collect it :)..congrats...

Suma Gandlur said...

Never heard about methi seeds in a dessert. It is healthier though.

Sum Raj said...

Devi priya,
Thanks for the lovly surprise..

Easycraft,
Me to happy in pariticipating..

Vegetable platter, andhra,
Thank u ..

Rekha,
Its good but under control because of adding jaggery.

Onni,
Keeo on trying new recipe. hope suddenly u come up with chicken recipe..waiting..

My view,Swathi,Happy cook,Lavanya,Cham
Thanks a lot for ur comments..

Ranji,
It was rajesh's idea of making this dish..even i was out of this recipe..

Kalva , Ramya,
Welcome and thanks a lot ..

Unknown said...

hi suma,
I tryed your pineapple rava jamun they came out very well and I send them to office also to day they are so tastey with pineapple flaver one more thing I want to ask you can I post this recipe in my blog is it ok for you
thanks a lot for such anice recipe

Medhaa said...

This is so new to me, we always add methi seeds when making curry thats it, not in sweets. Will try this sometime I so want to taste it. THanks for sharing.

I love you Palak Aloo Parathas, the color is so inviting and adding palak makes it so healthy. THanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Thats a healthy and different dish Suma..I know the medicinal uses of methi..but hardly take them in my food..Should try this sometime

Unknown said...

hi suma
I tryed your pineapple rava jamun they came out very well can Ipost the recipe in my blog I need your permetion and can I send them to street food event
thank u somuch for such a nice and tastey recipe

Sum Raj said...

Thank u rest of u for leaving ur precious comments...

Sheila sobti said...

When i searched for this recipe i doubted i would ever find it. Well, this happens to be the recipe my mother used to make when we were kids. It is good for your stomach.... Is what she used to say. Over the years i have learnt to love it. And once in a while i make it for my kids as well. Thank you for this recipe.